Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Lancaster

I was supposed to catch an early flight from San Diego to Las Vegas, from Las Vegas to Philadelphia @ 7am. The line for security check was extremely long. After I saw that I still had a good 25 people in front of me and 20 minutes till departure I decided to see if security could help me through the line.

Mission failed. Security had me running around the airport while time continued to click. After I went through security, I didn’t even bother to put my shoes on I ran like no other. I arrive at the gate at 6:55am only to find that the airplane doors were closed. They would not open them for me. I missed my flight. Luckily there was one more seat left on the next flight to Philly @ 10am. So I had a short layover in Phoenix and finally arrived in Philadelphia. Everyone was there waiting for me.

So what am I doing in Philly?
No not eating the Philly cheese steak sandwiches. I am actually here just for pick up, then I am off to Lancaster, PA.

I am in Pennslyvania for training with Hope International. I will be here for two days absorbing good knowledge about microfinance and discussing our mission for this summer internship. Then I am off to the Dominican Republic for 11 weeks where I will serve as a liaison between Esperanza and Kiva.

So what a little bit about HOPE: (actually just click on this link) http://www.hopeinternational.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_history








But for those who want the glimpse this is their mission, method, and motivation:

Mission:
To invest in the dreams of the poor in the world's underserved communities so that they might be released from physical and spiritual poverty.

Method:
We offer small business loans, savings services, biblically-based business training, and mentoring and coaching from a Christ-centered perspective.

Motivation:
The love of Jesus Christ motivates us to identify with the poor and care for their physical and spiritual condition.


No comments: