Saturday, May 23, 2009

Second Day of training

Yesterday's blog was a little long, so today I will try to keep it short this time.

Today we discussed more in dept some of the challenges of microfinance. I could name a couple here, but it might be more interesting if some of you asked me about this when I came back to the States.

Today I was challenged to think about development. I have never really felt comfortable asking for support. Every trip that I go to I try to pay for it myself, through my family, or close friends who willingly give without me asking. Yet something that I have noticed is that people always have and always will have a heart for giving to something that is impacting lives in a positive manner. That giving could be of time, money, resources, prayer and in other creative ways. So I I didn’t want to continue blogging without thanking Pathway Christian Fellowship for their generous and unasked support, thank you. May God continue to bless your ministry. To say this I also want to open the doors to those that want to be part of this journey with me. I want you to pray for me but I also don’t want to have a limited view on how you can help. Some of you might want to contribute financially to cover some of the cost associated with this trip (my rough estimate of total cost is close to $1700, this covers two plane tickets, housing and food for three months). If you are able and feel you want to serve in this way to support this trip or HOPE’s programs financially, your donations are welcomed. They would be sent directly to HOPE’s office and you will get a tax deductible receipt. Please contact me via email if this is something you are interested in: mairaflores1033@pointloma.edu

On a different note! I will head to the Dominican Republic tomorrow at 6pm! It is about a 4hour flight from here. We will be in the capital Santo Domingo for 4 days receiving training more on the specific roles that we will fill this summer. After training I will leave to San Pedro, there I will live with a host mom, Angelita. Angelita is in her mid-fifties, owns her own home, and then rents several units out that are located behind her home. I’ll have access to the refrigerator, and all common areas of the house. I will also have my own bedroom, with a bathroom, bed, furniture, fan, lock and key. Angelita lives about ten minutes walking distance from the San Pedro office. She is in a calm and quiet section of the town, and located directly across the street from a school. For weekend recreation I am about twenty minute bus ride to San Pedro/Juan Dolio, where there are some great easy-access beaches, an hour bus ride to Santo Domingo where other volunteers are placed, and about an half hour to the Hato Mayor region, where additional volunteers are located.

Yeah this blog isn’t getting shorter…haha

So what have I taken away today? In short terms, don’t let opportunities pass you, because they might never again turn around to look you in the eyes. Wow that sounded profound, it just came out of me, haha… No but seriously I am sometimes overwhelmed with choices in this life and sometimes am too afraid to choose that I miss out on what could have been great opportunities. While I am not trying to have many expectations for the DR I do hope to fulfill God’s expectations for me this summer. Help me pray for wisdom so I can have the inner strength to be bold in pursuing God’s will.

Together in this journey,
Maira

No comments: