Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Haiti

I really wanted to expand on how I fet about my trip to Haiti here but time has become my scarce commodity. But I hope you can enjoy the pictures.


The Citadelle Laferrière, the largest fortress in the Western Hemisphere and designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. The Citadel, along with the nearby Sans-Souci Palace, was built in 1805 by Henri Christophe, a key leader during the Haitian slave rebellion, after Haiti gained independence from France at the beginning of the 19th century.

The walls of the fortress itself rise up 130 feet from the mountaintop, and the entire complex, including cannonball stocks, yet excluding the surrounding grounds, covers an area of 108,000 square feet. The first portion of the trail is seven-miles up hill, I was excited and hoping I could hike all the way there, but got tired half way and took a horse…

(once we got to the top we had p&J's for lunch)

(We made it down!)

I have a little more than a week left here...

-Maira

2 comments:

Sean Nana said...

Looks so fun! I can't believe you're coming back in just a few days!! Have fun in your last moments!

Anonymous said...

when r u coming back? like