Monday, April 12, 2010

Travels to a developing country here in the US

It’s been quite hectic these past few days but it is about to get a little harder. Many of you know I like to travel to developing countries in the hope to one-day change the poverty statistics. If is unfortunate that half the world’s population lives on $2 a day or less. I am reminded by Dr. King’s words, “As long as there is poverty in the world I can never be rich...As long as diseases are rampant, I can never be totally healthy...I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be.” So what am I doing?

For three days starting Wednesday I am living outside on cardboard pretending to live in a developing country while surviving on $2 a day.

While Anthony says I am crazy and refuses to participate, 75 other people are joining me. The microfinance club, Jessica a dear friend, and I are organizing and putting this event at PLNU. If you are interested in learning more watch these two videos from last year:

Produced through PLNU-3:37 minutes

http://vimeo.com/4047437

Broadcasted by CW 6-1:56 minutes.

http://www.sandiego6.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=599975@xetv.dayport.com&navCatId=5

There are two main reasons why I am choosing to lead and participate in the $2 challenge. The first and most important is to spread awareness on campus about what it means for people to live on $2 a day or less. Besides being a slum town in the middle of our campus road we are also posting information on worldwide poverty along the campus “Caf. Lane” and are going to be exposed to the media to spread this message all over San Diego. But secondly, I choose to participate because the money raised by this even will go towards the Grameen Foundation and its partner organizations to support economic recovery efforts in Haiti. As many of you know I worked for Esperanza International, a microfinance organization that promotes development, in the Dominican Republic. Esperanza Int’l is a Grameen Foundation partner organization. I got to experiences first hand how well organized and efficient Grameen is. Grameen is the largest microfinance organization in the world, it is known for its founder Muhammad Yunus, a nobel prize winner. Grameen is also partnering with Lazarian World Homes (LWH) in Haiti to rebuild homes, having worked for LWH in both Armenia and Mexico, I too know this is a great Christian organization.

So how can you help?

Prayer. Pray for safety so our group can make a statement without getting sick (one student had a seizure last year). Pray for me as I am in charge of feeding all the participants, a little nerve wrecking since I am not a good cook. Continue to pray for Haiti so it can rise from being the poorest country in the western hemisphere to a developed country. And lastly, donate to this cause. We are having a friendly competition with the University of San Diego, they had their $2 Challenge a couple weeks ago and raised $300. I think we can beat that!

All donations are tax-deductible, you will receive a receipt from PLNU is you donate $10 or more. Link: https://commerce.cashnet.com/IA2

Make sure you designate the donation to "Slum Town- $2 Challenge".

Thanks.

Love,

Maira

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maira,
Glad to make a donation. Have Anthony take pictures for you to post. Praying for participants' health & safety, mild weather AND successful fund-raising. May the 3 days fly by! (Crazy? ... a little!)
My love, Lupe

Maira said...

Thank you so much for both your prayers and donation. It did rain quite a bit on Monday and I was afraid we would be stuck under bad weather conditions but it cleared up. I'll keep you posted as I get more information on how many donations are coming through. The 3 days did fly by, I couldn't believe it was over on Friday.