Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I am not a good friend

I had lunch with a child who was begging for cash today. He told me a long story about how he was lost and needed to get back to the capital. I heard him knowing that his situation was a tale. I asked him to join me for lunch where I proceeded to buy him chicken and french fries. We talked about family, food, and what we liked. He said he liked math and social sciences and that his family meant everything to him. I knew this was also a lie. I don’t know a 13year old that would openly state that he loves his parents and siblings… My heart ached for this lost child. He wasn’t lost geographically, but he was disoriented from a lot more. He has been forced to lie to survive. When I finished my lunch and started to get up to leave he told me “tu eres una buena amiga” (you are a good friend). As much as my ego would want this to be true I know in my heart it is not. I am not a friend if I cannot change his situation. I am not a friend because at the end of our lunch meeting I chose to turn around and go home not knowing where his home lies, if he even has home to turn to. I am not a friend because right now all I can do is stare at social injustice and secretly sob.
-Maira

3 comments:

Maira said...

Yeah i am not sure why you sometimes can and can't post comments. My sister is having the same problem...

For some reason, I was not able to post a comment on your blog tonight. In
response to your June 2nd blog 'I am not a good friend':


Maira,

Today, through you, that boy caught a glimps of the love of Jesus Christ. You
may never see what the Holy Spirit will do with that, but the Lord knows your
heart and honors your obedience.

Matthew 25:34-35, 40
"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by
my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the
creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I
was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you
invited me in, ....'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the
least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'


You're in our prayers.

Lupe

NOEMI said...

"I am Not a Good Friend" Umm I don’t know if you I would say that about you. As your sister and friend I’ve come to realize that your personality simply does NOT permit you be a "bad" friend. Let’s take this particular situation for example; the boy who solicits money from a stranger. The regular stranger hands over a couple of coins or dollar bills and with that they feel satisfied that they have done their part to help the less fortunate. Then there are strangers, like myself, whom ignore the situation for personal reasons (‘not having enough money”, not caring, thinking the beggar will use the money to buy drugs, ect.) And then there are people like your self that go beyond the normal scope of giving. With out realizing it you have done more than what a couple of U.S. dollars would have for this boy. Maira not only did you provide this boy with a meal but you provided him with a different outlook about life, that not everyone is the same! Honey, whether that boy meant it or not you are a good friend. “Friendship: term connotes a relationship which involves mutual knowledge, esteem, and affection and respect along with a degree of rendering service to friends in times of need or crisis.” Wikipedia, lol. This exactly what you did with for that boy you gave him affection by lending your ear to him instead of swooshing him away with money.

P.S To Post you must create a blog account :)

Becky said...

okay becky told me about this and i think itss not wise to think this way. life is life and right now all u can give the boy is a lunch. thats awesome, other people would have just turned away... idk i think that ur an awesome friend. i love our ADD moments their the best. cant wait to have you near!!!