Tuesday, June 9, 2009

New habits in my life...

There are a couple of good changes that I am doing while I am here in the DR. The first and most important is that I am waking up early. I am waking up every day at 4:45am. I know quite incredible! The people that know me, especially my roommates, know that I am not a morning person! So I am waking up and walking to the pier for exercise (it’s a bout a mile walk I would say, maybe a little more…) Another change is that I am not drinking much coffee (I think I had a total of 4 cups of coffee in the past 3 weeks). I am also reading a significant amount, I have finished one book (The Poor will be Glad by Peter Greer) so far, and have two more to go. Oh and my daily meals average about $2 per day (half the world lives on less than $2 day)…

So, last week I wrote that I would begin teaching English at Tu Hogar Cristiano, Milan Tapia’s school. So this is the update. I taught around 30 kids on Monday. It was a one hour class and I had kids ranging from 8 years old to 17 years old.

We reviewed the alphabet, numbers 1-20 and basic introductions that included:
Hello (Hi) my name is ______________________________ ?
What is your name?
My name is __________________________?
How old are you?
I am ­­­­___________________ years old?
Nice to meet you, Goodbye.


I went a little fast because more than anything I wanted to know how much they already knew and their overall interest/dedication. I was surprised when about all but maybe 2 kids were actively engaged. They are all very eager to learn and I am really exited to be part of their learning process. Starting next week (this week they have final exams), I will teach two lessons a day, twice a week. The first lesson will be for a group of 20 kids, the second lesson will be for a group of 12 kids who will go visit the US in September on a HOPE trip. The director, Milan will also attend the HOPE trip in Pennsylvania in September. Milan, will also join me in the lessons so she can learn/practice her English.

Milan gave me a tour of the school and introduced me to all the teachers and students who were in classrooms that were in session. I was quite impressed with the school. The kids are well behaved when class is going on, after they are dismissed now that’s a different story, haha. The building is quite nice; it is two stories high with six classrooms, a kitchen, an office, and a play area. Tu Hogar Cristiano educates 430 kids and employs about 25 faculty/staff. This is quite impressive considering the start of this school began with a woman who after receiving an Esperanza loan to start her own sowing business, with her profits began teaching street children from her home. Milan is an inspiration, she is very positive and if I could quote her in one phrase it would be “I can do it, God willing”. She is determined to succeed in her life and see others succeed as well.

Well that is all for now. Tomorrow I will go to Boca Chica once more and Thursday-Saturday I will stay at a resort in Punta Cana.

XOXO,
Maira

No comments: