Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A lot less talk and more pics


This is the clinic that I am visiting, and the one I wrote about earlier, which is co-partnered with Esperanza. Because I am treated as an Esperanza employee, all my doctor visits are free. I am only charged a minimal fee for laboratory tests (for both tests I had done I paid $40 pesos, about a buck fifty).


Picture by the ocean in Santo Domingo. I went with Claire and a group to church in Consuelo and then headed to the capital for lunch (about an hour drive from San Pedro). I had a plate of spaghetti and an amazing cup of coffee!


The school where I teach. The kids get a graduation at the end of the year once they are able to read (instead of the typical kindergarten graduation). I have some great footage of this; maybe i'll post it up on YouTube eventually.




The following are pictures of some associates that I interviewed. I wish I had a little more time to post the whole stories, but I hope you enjoy this glimpse.

Nilcia Dubway owns a grocery store in Boca Chica. She has been doing this type of business for 24 years now; this particular grocery store is 14 years old. She has recently become an Esperanza associate; this is her second loan. She is asking for prayer. Please pray for her mom and brother's health, and for marital problems.


Nadege also lives in Boca Chica. She is a clothing designer, but at this time she is focusing only on making t-shirts. With her first loan from Esperanza she was able to buy a sewing machine and cloth to start producing the t-shirts. She goes to Santo Domingo to sell them in the mercado.


Anna is Haitian-Dominican; she sells new and lightly used clothes with her mom in the Boca Chica mercado. Even though Anna is very busy, she still takes time to give back to her community. She teaches both a literacy course for adults and a sewing class. Anna is asking for prayer because she is currently unable to have kids.

1 comment:

NOEMI said...

I'm glad to hear you are doing better. So when do you come back??? I think I'm starting to miss you :(
I'll be heading to Point Loma in a bit and then of to the store to buy some supplies for my 4th of July BBQ with the girls (Becky and V). You are in my prayers sis, Muah :o
-NOEMI